It’s the middle of August, its hot, the AC is working overtime, you’re daydreaming of gelato, but alas, Italy is so far away! Here is a simple recipe for some gelato that will satisfy your sweet tooth, as well as your love of gelato! The best part? It can be ready and in your belly in about one hour, plus your friends will all be impressed by your culinary expertise!
- 150 gr (5 oz) bittersweet dark chocolate
- 200 ml (7 oz) milk
- 200 ml (7 oz) heavy cream
- 125 gr (4.5 oz) sugar
- 1.5 gr (¼ tsp) Peperoncino or cayenne pepper
- 2.5 gr (½ tsp). Ground cinnamon
- Chop the chocolate into pieces about the size of commercial chocolate chips
- Heat the milk (200 ml / 7 oz) and sugar (125 gr / 4.5oz) in a medium sized saucepan until sugar is dissolved. Do not boil.
- Over very low heat, stir the chopped chocolate into the hot milk/sugar mixture.
- Whisk continuously until all the chocolate is melted and you have a smooth shiny mixture
- Off the heat, whisk in the heavy cream (200 ml / 7 oz) and the crushed chili pepper powder.Refrigerate.
- When cool, pour mixture into your gelato machine and follow the instructions for your particular machine.