Title: Do I need Converters or Transformers?
Category: Trip Planning
Author: Daniele Pintaudi Updated: Jan 30, 2019 Views: 7,517
Tags: converters transformers 110 220 110v 220v

Do I need Converters or Transformers?

Make sure your electronics work when you are here.

What you will need depends on what you will be bringing. Here is a guide:

Italy power runs at 220 volts, and Italian plugs are different than yours. However, many modern electronics automatically switch between 110 volts and 220 volts. In those cases, you will not need a Voltage Converter, but you will need a European Style Adaptor Plug.

Examples of electronics that only need a European Style Adaptor Plug:

  • Cell Phones
  • Laptops
  • Digital Cameras
  • Video Cameras
  • Cell Phones

Examples of electronics that need a Voltage Converter AND a European Style Adaptor Plug:

  • Hair Dryers
  • Curling Irons
  • Straighteners
  • CPAP Machines

Keep in mind that when you buy a voltage converter, be sure to get a device that is powerful enough for what you need to power, as people frequently bring inadequate converters and end up destroying their devices.

To play it safe, consider getting devices that are dual-voltage, so you don't need the voltage converter. Here are some links to help you out:



Join the Discussion: